- About us
- Access to Higher Education
- Accountancy Courses
- Pearson BTEC Courses
- Education & Training
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Student Facilities
- Student Services
- Student Services Centre
- Regulations and Policies
- Term Dates
- Tuition Fees and Financial
- New Arrivals
- Student Union
- Academic Facilities
- Study Support
- Student Welfare
- Travel & Transport
- Student Resources
- Student Services
- Employability & Careers
- Contact Us
BTEC Higher National Diploma in Education and Training (QCF)
The Pearson BTEC Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (QCF) prepares trainee teachers and trainers to teach in a wide range of contexts. To achieve the qualification, there is a requirement for teaching practice that requires observation and assessment of performance.
The qualification can meet the needs of a range of trainee teachers and trainers, including:
- individuals who are not currently teaching and training but who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice requirements of the qualification
- individuals who are currently teaching and training, including those who have just begun teaching and training and who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice requirements, of the qualification
- individuals currently working as assessors who wish to achieve a teaching qualification and who can meet the practice requirements, including the observed and assessed practice, of the qualification.
This Diploma qualification in the QCF is recognised as equivalent to the Certificate of Education qualifications in the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ). Learners who have achieved the Pearson BTEC Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (QCF) can progress to further studies in education, such as the Pearson Edexcel Level 7 Diploma in Assessment Management (QCF).
Learners who achieve the Pearson BTEC Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
(QCF) and who are progressing to higher education accredited qualifications at Level 6 or above can have their Level 5 credit recognised in line with the higher education institution’s arrangements for the recognition of prior learning.
- Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training
- Theories, Principles and Models in Education and Training
- Wider Professional Practice and Development in Education and Training
- Action Learning to Support Development of Subject Specific Pedagogy
- Developing, Using and Organising Resources in a Specialist Area
- Working with Individual Learners
The learner will need to meet the requirements outlined in the table below before Pearson can award the qualification, i.e. achieve the appropriate mandatory and optional units, as well as satisfactorily complete teaching practice.
|Minimum number of credits that must be achieved||120|
|Number of mandatory credits that must be achieved||75|
|Number of optional credits that must be achieved||45|
|Minimum number of credits that must be achieved at Level 5 or above||61|
|Teaching practice hours||100|
1 – Age restriction: Minimum: 18
2 – A degree or a relevant vocational and/or academic qualification.
3 – Mature entry: Appropriate work experience
4 – APEL / APL: Students already in employment or with relevant previous experience
5 – English Language Competency: Minimum: CEFR B2
PTE Academic = 51 (in all 4 skills) or IELTS = 5.5 (in all 4 skills)
6- A current DBS Check/Certificate – should not have a criminal background, which might prevent them from working as a teacher with young people or vulnerable adults.